This is just something I have been thinking about lately.
Everyone gives love and receives love in different ways. (Cue 5 love languages!)
For women, we want to be treasured. Ever since we females were youngins- we were daddy’s little princesses.
Essentially, we felt “special” because we were given the role of princess.
Now, times have changed, we’re older and while princess isn’t a common relationship nickname, we still want to feel treasured by those who hold our affection. (Sidenote: That’s also why I think that a God that pursues his bride is so awesome).
I do have one thing to add before you take a gander at the list I found on Deviant Art.
If your partner/wifey also has a chronic illness, remember to let them know that you want to be with them. Chances are, they feel like burdens, not so attractive, and like a waste of resources. I guess in a sense I got lucky because my ex was a nurse, so he was good at not freaking out when I would convulse or spasm. Instead he would hold my hand while we waited for it to end.
I’m going to write another blog on dating and chronic illness soon (if I can manage).
But anyways, as I was exploring the net I found this post which was pretty right on, and ironically it was on deviant art, in it there are some ideas you can do to make your lady feel treasured. I agree with most of this list.
(One thing that isn’t on the list that I would add is: Pray for her. Pray together!)
So without further adu, here it is:
2. Hold her hand at any moment, even if it’s just for a second. Make her feel protected.
3. Leave her voice messages to wake up to.
4. Always tell her you love her every second of the day.
5. When she is upset, hold her tight and tell her how much she means to you.
6. Recognize the small things . . . they usually mean the most.
7. Sing to her no matter how horrible your voice is.
8. Pick her over all the other girls you hang out with.
9. Write her notes. (She loves them.)
10. Introduce her to family and friends . . . as your girlfriend.
11. Play with her hair.
12. Pick her up, tickle her, and play-wrestle with her.
13. Sit in the park and just talk to her.
14. Throw pebbles at her window in the middle of the night . . . just because you missed her.
15. Let her fall asleep in your arms.
16. Carve your names into a tree.
17. Never refuse to kiss her in public.
18. Give her piggyback rides.
19. Bring her flowers
20. Treat her the same around your friends as you do when you’re alone.
21. Look her in the eyes and smile.
22. Let her take as many pictures of you as she wants.
23. Slow dance with her, even if there isn’t any music playing.
24. Kiss her in the rain.
25. Love her. If you don’t, you’re not going to treat her like a queen. Assuming that love is in place, it is up to you to treat her well.
26. Give her a nickname that she loves and makes her feel special.
27. Treat her special! Open doors for her, give her your coat when she’s cold, don’t let her walk on the curb, carry her purse, etc.
28. Do something for her without her asking you to do it. Surprise her by getting a card for her for no reason. Buy her chocolate on your way back home. Drop by or give a random call telling her that you miss and love her. Understand that little things mean a lot! A love note, rose, sweet text message or things like this just to let her know you are thinking of her and care for her.
29. Make her feel like the best thing in your life. She probably is!
30. It’s okay to have friends (male or female); however, if your girlfriend has a problem with the female friends you should be willing to compromise.
31. Be careful about complimenting other girls, especially if she doesn’t know them. She may get jealous and angry with you.
32. Don’t ever hug friends for too long, especially if you know she’s not too fond of the friend. Also, don’t treat your female friends like you’d treat her. She’s a special part of your life, so save the cuddly stuff exclusively for her. Don’t lean your head against one of your female friend’s heads or nap with any of your female friends. This will only make her jealous and distrusting.
33. When people diss her, stand up for her.
34. Be her best friend. Girls can be insanely loyal; she will be yours, no question.
35. Be yourself. Don’t put on a fake show of yourself.
36. When you are spending time with her, make sure she has your attention. Make sure you listen to her and talk to her. Just sitting beside her doesn’t count as time together.
37. DON’T CHEAT ON HER. It may seem foolproof, but girls tell each other everything about everything. Trust me, she WILL find out and you WILL be dead (or over.)
38. Beware of every single male relative and all guy friends. Any of them would kick your ass at the drop of a hat, and a lot of them wouldn’t even wait for the damn hat.
39. Every girl should eventually get THREE THINGS from her boyfriend- a stuffed animal, one of his sweatshirts, and a really pretty ring. Even if it’s not a serious relationship.
40. If a guy is bothering her, it is your right to kick the shit out of him.
41. If you’re talking to a female friend of yours, pull your girlfriend closer.
42. Memorize her god damn birthday. You forget her birthday and you’re basically screwed for life. Make her feel like her birthday is the most special day in the world
43. DON’T give her something stupid for her birthday or Christmas or Valentine’s Day. It doesn’t have to be expensive, but it has to be meaningful. Jewelry is always nice.
44. After you’ve been dating for a while, realize that they really have started to trust you. When you have a girlfriend who truly trusts you, you have a lot more responsibility, privilege and control than you would think. Be careful with it, most guys would kill for that kind of power, and it can be lost in a nanosecond.
45. Put your arms around her waist and whisper in her ears.
46. Look deep into her eyes, put both hands on her cheeks, and tell her you love her more than anything.
47. Be the best boyfriend in the world.
48. Buy or make her something special once a month to show your love.
49. When something makes her mad stay with her until she is smiling again. When she is crying wipe her tears away with your hand and hold her until she stops to let her know that you’ll always be there for her
50. Look at her like she is the only woman in the world that you see.
51. Always remember the way and the date that you met.
52. Have your portrait taken together. It will be a lifetime memory of your happy relationship and it may come in handy some day in the future– when you need a photo for the newspaper engagement announcement!
53. Never talk about your ex-girlfriend in front of them.
54. Be her superman: no matter what she says or how she reacts to things, she’s always going to need you. Never let her down by failing to return a call or text and making her worry.
55. If you make a promise to her about something important, keep it. Disappointment is one of the worst things that can happen to her, and when it comes from you it significantly hurts her.